CTA Surface System History presented by the Illinois Railway Museum
This website is a collaborative effort between the Illinois Railway Museum's Strahorn Library, Trolley Bus Department, Motor Bus Department, and the Museum's generous donors. If you like what you see here, please consider a donation to any or all of these departments. Please mention you like this site when making your donation. Using the links below will take you directly to the museum's website which will allow you to make donations. You can reenter this web address to return. Thank you in advance for your generosity!!!
Click to donate to the Trolley Bus Department
Click to donate to the Motor Bus Department
Click to donate to the Strahorn Library
As time permits and as more items are scanned, the website will be updated, expanded and enhanced. This will be occurring into the forseeable future. If you return to visit often, please refresh your browser to make sure you see the latest updates. Thank you!!!
This website would not be possible without contributions of materials and time from:
- Barbara Lanphier and her staff at the Strahorn Library
- The late Donald Liberko
- William Wulfert
- Robert Heinlein
- James Heinlein
- Mel Bernero
- John LeBeau
- J. L. Saunders Jr.
- Charlie King
- Joan Vogel (in memory of Arthur Vogel)
- R. M. Jorgenson
- David Phillips
- Donald W. Maag Sr.
- Rev. Daniel Buck
- Andre Kristopans - A HUGE thank you to Andre for not only materials, but all of his incredible historical insight and assistance!!!!
- Ken Spengler
- Julie Piesciuk
- Ray Piesciuk
Latest Update: 11/26/2018
THANK YOU - We now have over 1/8 Million page views since the website began. Your continued patronage and support is very much appreciated. Health issues have prevented updates to the site over the past few months, but hopefully those are in the rear view mirror and we are looking forward to expanding the site over the winter months. THANK YOU for your patience!!!!
We are currently working on several update projects:
- 306 new individual route maps have been loaded and are now available. Lines with new maps available are denoted with an asterisk next to the route name and the newly available individual maps are denoted with "* NEW *" next to them.
- We have scanned 175 blueprints of loops and properties from the IRM Collection. 45 of these are now available near the bottom of the Blueprint page (more to come!!).
- Andre Kristopans has generously shared his updated individual route history files with IRM. We are currently working on reformatting these and they will be back out shortly.
- Another group of files Andre has shared contains retirement/scrapping dates for past fleets of CTA buses, as well as data sheets for the streetcar and work bus/work car fleet. All the lists have been formatted and are uploaded. They are now available at the bottom of the "Blueprints/Equipment" page. Another HUGE thanks again to Andre for sharing his knowledge with everyone!!!
Illinois Railway Museum Homepage
IRMTV.ORG YouTube Channel Featuring Video Shorts Documenting Different Aspects of the Museum
Chicago L.org Website - Excellent Detail About Rapid Transit
Trolleybuses.net Website - Tons of photos of Trolley Buses and the new home of Dave's Railpix
Please feel free to use the information contained within this website for your personal enjoyment. Nothing contained within this website may be reproduced without first obtaining permission from the Illinois Railway Museum. PLEASE respect the museum and its collection in this matter.
The CTA logo (used on this site with permission) and any logos contained within this website are copyrighted and may not be used or reproduced without the consent of the respective agency/entity.
Please direct questions and comments to email@example.com
. The Illinois Railway Museum is always looking for donations of CTA and predecessor companies' material. Also use this email if you have artifacts to donate to the museum. We will gladly contact you about making arrangements for donations. Remember that the Illinois Railway Museum is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization and donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law (please consult your tax adviser to determine deductibility).